Tuesday 8 December 2015

My Hometown's Under Water

My little hometown of Carlisle is currently suffering. I'm sure a lot of people will have heard about the disastrous floods of the past few days all throughout the lake district and, unfortunately, my hometown was one of those affected.

It's sad to think of somewhere I love so much, and have spent the majority of my life, being underwater and so many people I know being evacuated from their now ruined homes.

I'm a very lucky person to be able to say that all of my family were safe from it and they're homes managed to stay unaffected but, for most, they're going to be without a home at Christmas time. 

It's truly devastating to watch unfold and I hope that everyone is staying safe and well.


What I want to shine a light on though is that amongst all the bad things that have been happening throughout the whole world lately, a community can still come together to look after each other in times of need.

One of the worst parts of the floods in Carlisle is the people who are left homeless and without their belongings, clothes, hot food, beds; they have nothing but each other. But the nicest thing to witness is the way everyone comes together to help those in need. Carlisle isn't a big place but hundreds of homes have been affected and more than twice as many people but everybody has opened up their homes for those in need as well as donating essentials for those who need them. I'm proud to say that my sister is one of the people who's been helping provide hot food for the people who are currently having to live in community centres because their homes aren't safe or are still flooded.

Many local construction companies, roofing companies, carpeting companies and plenty of others are all offering their help for free in trying to fix the damage in the homes of the people who are suffering with the floods. As well as local businesses (and major chains) donating food and essentials. The local football club and their players even expressed their concerns and have given up their days next week to help everyone move things in their home and make them more livable. None of these people have to do any of this but they do it anyway, because this is there home and their community and they support each other in good and bad times.

All the emergency services have rallied together with even the army coming to help people who were stranded in their homes unable to get out because of the flood water surrounding them. My mum even told me that she saw a rescue boat from Lincolnshire there helping people. People from all around the country are doing their best to help everyone and that is something that I love. Thank you to all of these people because without them, this could've been much worse for a lot of people.

There are so many bad things that are shown on the news in the world but what's rarely shown is the good that people do when they come together in difficult times.

I'm proud to say I'm from this little city that's going through such a heartbreaking ordeal.


Please make sure you keep everyone from around the country that's been affected by the floods at a time that's supposed to be so special in your thoughts. Also, if you're anywhere near Carlisle or the Lake District area, and you're able to help or donate blankets and essential supplies, etc. to those in need then please do. Everyone needs all of your love now.

Stay safe.

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment