Wednesday 6 August 2014

Mid Week Pick-Me-Up #10

Hello!

It took me four times to write the title to this post correctly, my fingers are just being more clumsy than normal today (this is basically me warning you about any strange,illegible words that might sprout up at any point in this post - it's my fingers fault, not mine!).


"Follow your heart but take your brain with you." - Alfred Adler

This quote is a clever one, if you ask me. It has life well and truly figured out.

I don't know about anyone else but, all the way through school, you're told to follow your heart and not listen to other people, just do what you want to. Although this is true to a certain extent, you can't just follow your heart and not think about what it is you're doing. For example, if your heart tells you you want to travel, that's great but you need to have your brain think about whether you can afford it or if it's practical.

I have a friend who has always wanted to go to one university. They didn't get into it the first year they applied, so they declined every other offer they had as well, then completely changed their life plan and what course they wanted to do, just so they could re-apply to the same university the next year. It was also the only university they applied to the second year but, again, they didn't get in. She was following her heart to the university and city she wanted to be in but wasn't thinking about the other options or the fact that she might not get in again.

I'm all for following your heart and dreams, I ended up in Nottingham because I followed my heart, but I made the mistake of not thinking about it properly. I didn't think about how far away it was from my home; how much I would miss my family; how difficult it would be to get home when I needed to. I'm not saying I wouldn't have ended up in Nottingham if I had thought about those things because I love it there but at least I would have realised what I was doing before I got there.

Your brain is more logical than your heart, but your heart is more truthful than your brain. Use both.

Katie x 

No comments:

Post a Comment