Friday 6 June 2014

To Love Or Not To Love?

Hello!

You would think, as a Literature student, I should love all Literature and should especially have an appreciation for Shakespeare, buuuut I don't.

In fact, I have more of a hatred for Shakespeare than a love for him.

I have read a large majority of his work, having studied it since I was about thirteen, including: 

Much Ado About Nothing
Othello
Macbeth
As You Like It
A Midsummer's Night Dream
Hamlet
And, of course, Romeo and Juliet (who hasn't read that? Or at least watched the movie? Not many I bet) 
There are plenty more I've read too but this list is getting too long already.

 I can tell you which ones of those is a tragedy, which a comedy, or which is a mixture of both but I can't say I genuinely enjoyed any of them.

The fact that it takes me longer to decipher what he's actually trying to say than it does to read the whole play from back to front is probably a big reason for my disliking of his work. 

When I've seen performances of the play, although they're still not the best thing I've ever seen, I haven't minded them so much but I feel like all I do when I'm studying the book is try to get my head around the words used and then I end up not knowing what's going on because I've spent too long on translating the language!

Don't get me wrong, Shakespeare sounds like he was an awesome dude and he definitely had a lot of imaginative, creative ideas, for his time, but I don't get why he's still considered to be so great and why his writing is so prestigious... Just my opinion though.

I'd love to know what you think?

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment