Saturday 19 July 2014

The Book that Turned Me into an Emotional Wreck

Hello!

Almost exactly a year ago, I read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It was possibly one of the most emotive books I have ever read and it took me quite a while to recover from it! However, I wrote a review as soon as I'd read it, mainly to try and keep it fresh in my mind as I had to make notes on it for my uni course. I've been looking through my laptop files and found it and I thought I should share it with you, because it really is a truly amazing book.


(Obviously, if I wrote this review at this time last year, it was done before I went to university. Sooooo, just pretend we're in 2013, rather than 2014 and I haven't started my first year of uni yet!)

I am an English Literature and Creative Writing student and, therefore, I have to read a lot and write a lot - both of which thrill me. However, before I go to university and my lectures start, there are a couple of books I need to have read and made notes on. One of which is The Kite Runner.


I have just finished it and, I can honestly say, I have never cried so much at one book in my entire life. In fact I think there are only a handful of times that I have cried at anything this much in my entire life.

It is one of the most harrowing and heart-breaking books I have ever read, without doubt, and I read tons. I've read things like Private Peaceful, which left me speechless and in tears. I even read The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, for my A-Levels last year, and if anyone has ever read this, they will know what I mean when I say it is the most depressing book in the world. The Kite Runner is an extremely close second to both of these, if it's not worse.

I think the difference is that, in The Road, there were only two main characters and that was it, everything that happened was simultaneous, they were living in an apocalyptic world for goodness sake, of course it wasn't going to be all rainbows and sunshine! But, in The Kite Runner it starts off making you think it's going to be exactly rainbows and sunshine and then things happen that make you feel like your chest is being torn open and someone is slowly squeezing the blood vessels around your heart, one by one, so you die in a horrifically slow, and painful, way... Wow, that was dramatic - maybe that should be in The Road

Just as you think something good is happening in The Kite Runner you learn different; it changes at a blink of the eye. I feel like all I've done since I hit the seventy-ish page mark is cry, and cry, and cry. And cry some more. And then a bit more. And, yeah, you get the gist. I don't want to give anything away but the point of view is that of a little boy and it's like you're growing up with him and his family. However, you go from liking him, to despising him with so much hatred in your body that you don't know what to do with yourself, to thinking he's okay, to disliking him again, to feeling sorry for him and forgiving him, to being happy for him, to thinking he's an idiot and an asshole (pardon, my language - this book has done bad things to my mental state) to then liking, maybe even loving him again, to blaming him and I'm currently in between blaming him and possibly, maybe, liking him a little bit again. Maybe edging more towards the liking bit actually, after reading the last words:

""For you, a thousand times over," I heard myself say."


Anyone who has already read this book will understand just how cry-worthy this sentence is, of both happiness and sadness - I can't decide which emotion wins over.

The fact that this book has made me feel so many different feelings in the space of a day and a bit just shows how well written the book is. I may not like the book enough to read it again but that's because it's turning me into an emotional wreck, not because it's not expertly written. In fact, to invoke this kind of reaction in a person it has to be well written and has to make you love and hate parts of it strongly enough that it takes over your emotions. Or at least that's what I think. I know that I will never forget this book as long as I live, it has had that much of an effect on me.

For any literature student, you will realise how weird this is because it's kind of a law in novels that you should feel the most proximity with the character whom's point of view it is from, but that isn't necessarily the case in this book. All of my feelings, closeness, everything, lie with the character Hassan in this book. Completely and utterly. I would rather watch every other person in the world (of the book, obviously) suffer than watch anything happen to him. 

The things that happen in this book are scarily close to things that happen in real life and are happening all around us; I think that's part of the reason it provokes such a big reaction from me. The things that some of the characters suffer in this book happen to people in everyday life in certain countries. 

I'n sorry if this was a boring, rambly review about something you really don't give a damn about but I needed to get that out of my system. Also, if you do like to read, then you should read The Kite Runner, you just need to either have a heart of stone or a super-size box of tissues. Oh, and don't read it in public places - I made that mistake and got some funny looks at the tears streaming down my face. My remedy is to have a nice book, that I know is very happy, waiting on the sidelines for the minute I finish this one! Or if you're more of a movie person, I suggest something like Mary Poppins or Cinderella ready to watch afterwards.

It really is one of the best books I've ever read though. It just hurts you a little bit inside; it gives you a completely different perspective on the world though and you can't help but love certain characters.


Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment